About Me

My photo
I am a first grade teacher. I love to make learning fun & exciting! Teaching is such an adventure and I feel blessed to be able to impact little lives. I love Jesus & live my life to know Him and love others. I also love photography, my awesome hubby, my family, and friends!

Sunday, August 12, 2012

My Classroom

Ok, here it is! My second home...


This year, I bought bookshelves for each of my tables.  So far, I love them!  We will see how they work tomorrow!  In these bookshelves I will store the "team" materials.  The kids will keep their math materials, crayons, scissors, etc, and will each have reading baskets where they will store their books and whisper phones.



This is looking at my room from the reading corner.


This is my reading corner/whole group area.  I just got a bigger rug, but don't have a picture of it yet.  We spend ALL of our time here.


This is still in my reading area.  I added BOGGLE this year, and I'm excited about the kids being able to choose to do this during word work.  You can also see my writing center...



 
This is my writing center.  I snagged this table for $5 this summer!  It reads "each day is a story". 

This is another table I painted a few years back.  This is my "thinking center".  I throw different activities in this center, like retelling stories, sequencing, etc.

This is part of my word work center.  These are actually two bookshelves put together.  They were really ugly and also the focus of my room last year, so I decided to spice them up!  I hot glued some fabric I had on there, added some cute flag border and bam!  The bookshelves are magnetic so the kiddos can make words on it.  LOVE!


I like to have carpet and lamps everywhere!!  It makes the room so much more homey!  Plus I love for the students to have different areas int he room where they can "buddy read" at the end of the day.  This is when they will need their whisper phones and book baskets that I mentioned above.


This is my new best friend! My rockin' behavior chart.  I got this guitar  idea from the inspired apple
I made fun little guitar picks with their names on it to move up and down the chart.  You can get these guitar picks for free at my TPT store HERE.  I can't wait to use this, this year!  I also made a packet of notes to send home that you can also check out HERE.


The front of my room/guided reading table. 


& lastly my awesome new milk crate seats I made.  I'm really excited about these.  I am going to have the kids store their guided reading books/materials in the drawers throughout the week.  That way I don't have to keep up with the books but can have them pull them out of their seat! :)

That's my room!  Hope everyone has a FABULOUS year!

10 comments:

  1. Love the crate chairs! Nice simple idea! Going to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute classroom! I am your newest follower!

    ~Kourtney

    kourtneypayton83@gmail.com

    Mrs. Payton's Precious Kindergarteners

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do your cushions on your crates remove, or did you permanently adhere them? How did they work out for you this year?

    I am looking at making some and deciding between your way or the creating the board top way. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy!

    I made the crate seats by using a piece of wood. I drilled a few holes in the piece of wood..then I used a staple gun to staple the material on the wood with the cushion underneath. I used zipties to keep the cushion on the crate.

    I am going to do a little repair work on them this summer because the cushions got pretty nasty, but I will just cut the zipties and redo the fabric.

    They worked great. I loved having the drawer so my kiddos could store their guided reading materials.

    I hope this helped :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Not sure if my last comment posted, so I'll try one more time. I love the idea of turning the crates sideways for seats. This makes them taller. Do you think they are sturdy enough to hold an adult, or at least a jr. high student? I'm looking at making seats for my office. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are the crates real milk crates or the ones you can purchase at WalMart? I teach 7th and 8th grade and am also interested if you think they are sturdy enough for that age group.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are real milk crates. They are very sturdy and hold adults as well. However the sturdiness had to do with the wood I put on top under the cushion. Be sure to get thick wood and they should be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lorie, first off, love the look of your class. Took some of your ideas and modified for my class. Next, wanted to ask how bookcase at end of table worked. Seems like a great storage solution keeping supplies off table until needed. Also, where did you get bookcases?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lorie, first off, love the look of your class. Took some of your ideas and modified for my class. Next, wanted to ask how bookcase at end of table worked. Seems like a great storage solution keeping supplies off table until needed. Also, where did you get bookcases?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lorie,
    I love your room. How did you make the little pillow tops for your crate seats? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete